The National Service Scheme (NSS), Unit 1, of Government General Degree College, Singur, is very active in ensuring overall development of the students as well as creating a steady line of effective communication with the neighbouring communities, so that the student-volunteers can successfully emerge as positive and proactive shapers of the society. Towards this end, a number of programmes are conducted and awareness initiatives are undertaken throughout the year.
- Among these, the week-long celebration of Vanmahotsav, Thalassaemia Awareness, Health Check-up Camps, observance of World Aids Day by Red Ribbon Club, removal of Non-Biodegradable Wastes from the college campus and its vicinity, celebration of World Earth Day, World Yoga Day etc. are conducted every year.
- A number of Seminars and Webinars are also regularly organized by the NSS team. One such seminar conducted during the last academic session was “Safety of Women on Roads,” conducted as part of the Awareness Initiative under the Government of West Bengal scheme ‘Safe Drive, Save Life’.
- Another seminar conducted in collaboration with Childline, Hooghly district was entitled: “POCSO ACT: Prevention of Crimes against Children”.
- The most awaited NSS event in the College calendar every year is undoubtedly the Annual Special Camp, wherein a week-long programme is organized at the adopted village of the NSS unit of the College. This year, the theme of the special camp was “Say No to Child Marriage”.
- Through its diverse activities, the NSS keeps on inspiring the students to change their world for the better, always serving others selflessly with its motto: ‘NOT ME BUT YOU’.